John S. Carton, Ph.D., ABPP
- If you are a former client (either Georgia or Michigan) and need assistance with prior records, release of information, etc., please contact me if I can be of service.
Note: Before contacting me, please be aware of the limits of confidentiality:
Psychologist-client communications are generally confidential and privileged. Federal and state laws, plus ethical standards, mandate that our work together remain private with only a few exceptions. Even in those exceptions, every effort is made to protect your privacy. Those exceptions to confidentiality are detailed in my treatment consent form and include the standard circumstances that would prompt any health care provider to disclose information, such as:
- in cases of suspected or actual abuse of a minor, dependent adult, or person with disability I am a mandated reporter and must inform the proper authorities immediately
- if a client is a danger to self or others I must take steps to protect the individual(s) involved
- court ordered release of information and certain other legal proceedings (e.g., a child custody situation or law suit where the court requests certain documentation)
- insurance companies, if paying for sessions, may request some basic information regarding diagnosis, dates and number of sessions, and treatment summaries
- you authorize me to speak with a representative, teacher, psychiatrist, former therapist, for the purpose of helping with treatment planning and implementation, understanding your medications, coordinating with your child's teacher, advocating at a 504/IEP meeting, etc.
Disclaimer: The material on this website is not meant to constitute clinical advice or treatment. Visiting the site or inquiring about my services via phone or email does not alone constitute a client-practitioner therapy relationship. This website is not a replacement or substitute for speaking directly with a properly licensed health care professional and formally engaging their service. This site does not promise or guarantee any results and no warranty is implied. I strive to maintain accurate information on this site, but material may become dated over time.